General Tips for Personal Injury
- Obtain the best medical care available. Ideally, you would go to a
specialist who has treated others with injuries similar to your own.
Names, Addresses and Phone Numbers
Get the names, addresses and phone numbers of any possible defendants and any other involved parties.
Keep a Diary for Counsel
- Beginning with and immediately after the incident, keep track of
medical care, lost work, and significant changes in your lifestyle. Be
sure to include the date with any relevant information.
- If a defective product is involved, try to preserve the item.
Photographs are helpful for injuries, vehicle damage, premises defects
or reapairs and many other situations. Evidence of how the injury
occurred and the nature of the injury is very important. Take steps to
preserve what can be preserved.
- Get the name, phone number and address of any possible witness. Be
sure to note what information that person could give surrounding the
event or injury.
Report the Injury to the Appropriate Parties:
- If you are injured at work, report the injury to your employer. If
you fall at a store or public facility, tell the owner or current
supervisor. Don't discuss blame, only describe the events.
- Seek the advice of someone who has has a personal injury claim or an
attorney on what steps to take. Most attorney's will provide a free